Jan 21, 2005

Matrimony Accomplished

I was at a wedding last weekend. I remember the biggest concern amongst the planners being that the maid of honor had been erroneously given two right-footed shoes. The wedding was postponed only 5 minutes however thanks to some quick action by a groomsman.

Iraqi wedding planners these days are struggling with similar logistics issues. For instance, earlier this evening in Baghdad, an ambulance packed with explosives drove into a wedding party and exploded, killing several people and wounding others.

Anatyla Muqtaha, the wedding planner, gave an interview from her hospital bed afterwards. "I kept saying, we need more anti-vehicle mines on the bride's side, but you know these people, they tried to do everything on the cheap. Even the groom's body armor was a Kevlar substitute," Muqtaha said. "That's when I noticed the flaming suicide ambulance coming towards us. I screamed outloud, 'who the hell ordered the flaming suicide ambulance without consulting me first' but before anyone could respond, it exploded," she added.