May 5, 2005

Calvert 1, Scientists 0

TKID 4 is no scientist. But if he were, and he were confronted by a young 20-something ish college female with blonde hair, (cough) firm body, and firm resolve in her drive to debunk evolutionary theory by questioning me with the following script, I would immediately renounce the scientific method and torch my periodic table. John Calvert is supplying millions of Americans, including the likes of the above described, with the following do-it-yourself creationism/evolution debate, complete with predicted responses from a confused teacher.

WHO CAN ANSWER MY QUESTION?
By John Calvert, who grants permission to use and copy to anyone

My Name is ____________. I am ____________________.

With the help of _____________, we would like to demonstrate a fundamental problem with the Naturalistic underpinning of the proposed Science Standards.

STUDENT: I have a question - When I look at people, they look designed to me. I also hear there is a lot of evidence that confirms my intuition. Some chemists say that physical and chemical laws can’t account for biological information. Biochemists say many biological systems are irreducibly complex. Mathematicians say it is statistically impossible for the first cell to have been assembled out of nothing. Geologists say that the fossil record shows life appearing abruptly rather than gradually. Astronomers say the Universe is so finely tuned that if you just changed one constant by a smidgen, we wouldn’t be here. So, isn’t there a lot of evidence that we might be designed?

TEACHER: I can’t answer your question. We are not allowed to talk about design. It is outside the “domain” of science.

STUDENT: That doesn’t make sense to me. I hear this stuff coming from scientists.

TEACHER: Well, they just don’t know what science is.

STUDENT They just think they are scientists, but really aren’t? Well, what is science?

TEACHER: Science is the activity of seeking only natural explanations of what we see. These guys are inferring design from the evidence. Scientists aren’t allowed to do that. You are not allowed to discuss the possibility of intelligent design.

STUDENT: Isn’t that censorship? Who can answer my question, if you are not allowed to talk about it?

TEACHER: [Nervous cough] I am told that you have to go to your family or other appropriate source.

STUDENT: My family doesn’t know anything about complexity in living systems, biochemistry, physics, geology, statistics or cosmology. So what is an appropriate source?

TEACHER: I don’t know. Maybe your pastor or a philosopher.

STUDENT: Come on Teach! They don’t know anything about that stuff. Who can answer my question if scientists can’t?

The script ends at this point, but TKID 4 can't help but speculate about the continuing dialog which could very well be taking place right now in the corn fields of Topeka and the back alleys of L.A. between the "teach" and the student. Most likely stirring debates over the 1st Amendment Church and State clause are underway, or possibly solicitations for sexual intercourse.