Jun 15, 2005

Fairy Tales About Gods and Monkeys

It's getting hot over at the Kansas State Board of Education, where boardmembers are currently debating the relative merits of teaching evolution and/or intelligent design, TKID5's favorite explanation of how the majesty that is me came to be. The AP reports that boardmembers are slinging insults with reckless abandon, and that an aggressive letter from Connie Morris of the board is stirring up angst.

In the letter, the AP reports, "Morris derided evolution as an 'age-old fairy tale,' sometimes defended with 'anti-God contempt and arrogance.' She wrote that evolution is 'a theory in crisis' and headlined one section of her newsletter 'The Evolutionists are in Panic Mode!'"

Anti-God fairy tales always freaked-out TKID5 when he was a wee lad, particularly ones about how my ancestors were monkeys that had mutated over millions of years, eventually evolving to the shimmering beauty of my God-like form.

Actually, I preferred other fairy tales, the ones told to me in bible class. My favorite was the one about how a mysterious, male deity created all that there is in six days, resting on the seventh, because although he was all powerful, he must've been tired. The only aspect of this otherwise comforting story that bothered me was the fact that the God-man worked for six straight days. TKID5 ain't doing that, no way.